A CharacterWorks show isn't simple to put together. It take hundreds of students, parents, siblings, and even grandparents to make the magic of theater come to life. Being a part of a CWorks show is a big commitment that can involve the whole family. A show requires a lot of work, but there is nothing like seeing a big musical come together on opening night and knowing that you've had a part in making it happen!
- If a student is cast in a CharacterWorks show, rehearsals are mandatory. Any conflicts with the rehearsal schedule must be listed on your audition form.
- Regular rehearsals: Cast members are only permitted to miss two regular rehearsal dates. If a student knows he or she will miss more than two rehearsals due to pre-arranged conflicts, he or she cannot audition. Rehearsal dates for shows can be found on the "Shows" page of the CharacterWorks website.
- Tech week rehearsals and performances: Tech rehearsals are usually scheduled from 5-9PM on the weekdays leading up to the first performance. No absences are permitted during tech week and performances.
- CWorks class attendance during the session: If cast, students must attend their CharacterWorks classes (no more than two class absences are acceptable).
- Committees: Parent committees are the driving force behind a CWorks show! These committees can include sets, props, paint, costumes, raffle, souvenirs, refreshments, and several other options. At least one parent of each cast member must work on both a pre-show committee and a show committee. If two children are in the show, then two parents are expected to work on committees. Older siblings or other designated adults may substitute for parents. Parent committee information and signups will be presented at the Family Meeting (see below).
- Parent Meetings: There are two meetings over the course of rehearsals, and at least one parent must attend each meeting. The 1st Parent Meeting is usually held the first weekend of rehearsals. The 2nd Parent Meeting is usually held two weekends before the show opens.
- Production Fee: There is a production fee of $275.00 for each cast member. Production fees cover most show expenses and must be paid online in your family account after the show is cast but before the first rehearsal. Students who have not paid their production fee will not be allowed to come to rehearsals until the fee is paid or an exception is made by the CWorks business office.
- Additional Expenses: Additional expenses may include a makeup kit (approx. $26), a garment bag (approx. $15), a 64 qt. plastic storage bin in which to store your belongings at rehearsals and performances, and footwear or dance shoes as outlined by the costumer. Often times students who have done past shows have the above-mentioned items already, which is why they are not included in the production fee.
CharacterWorks is committed to safeguarding the welfare of the children in our care. All volunteers will undergo a background check to ensure the safety and protection of our children. Additionally, all adults involved in a CWorks production are required to read and sign the Parent Code of Conduct Form below.